Finland - Tram services over obscure routes
- 1 Introduction
- 1.1 Helsinki: HKL/HST
- 1.1.1 Kaarlenkatu along Sturenkatu via Roineentie stop and west to north curve at Mäkelänkatu to Hattulantie
- 1.1.2 Further along Sturenkatu, from junction with Mäkelänkatu to junction with Hämeentie
- 1.1.3 Kauppatori: west to north curve (giving west to north run from Unioninkatu to Pohjoisesplanadi)
- 1.1.4 Kauppiaankatu - Katajanokan terminaali loop
- 1.1.5 Kalevankatu north-east to south-east [Hietalahti]
- 1.1.6 Kalevankatu north-east to west and west to south-east [Hietalahti]
- 1.1.7 Vallila - Koskelan halliin (Koskela tram depot)
- 1.1.8 Erottaja - Kolmikulma turning circle
- 1.1.9 Pasila
- 1.1.10 SpåraKOFF Pub Tram
- 1.1.11 Vintage Tram
- 1.2 See also
- 1.1 Helsinki: HKL/HST
Some tram systems advertise their depot workings and enable one to ascertain the regular use by passenger-carrying services of junctions or sections of line that do not otherwise see public service. This occasional series lists such services that have come to notice. While the data for each system is current at the date stated, it is not the intention to endeavour to keep every entry up to date at every service change - the listing serves as a guide for travellers as to the sort of services they can look out for, enabling them to check current published timetable material at their time of travel.
To assist in tracing services, the route and/or timetable number for each journey is shown in parentheses, e.g. (1). Days of operation are in English notation (respectively: Su, M, T, W, Th, F, S) - plus "O" for only, "X" for excepted. Su (Sundays) usually includes public holidays in mainland Europe - but check locally.
Listings for other systems throughout the world - in the same format as shown below (please include date of timetable validity) - will always be welcomed.
Advertised journeys from 4 March 2019 but note reduced service PDFs are issued for 17 June - 11 August 2019. Following major route changes in 2017, route maps for further changes until 2025 are available.
With effect from 4 March 2019, the route via Sörnäinen is closed with the following unusual sections of routes in use. No end date is quoted for the works.
Kaarlenkatu along Sturenkatu via Roineentie stop and west to north curve at Mäkelänkatu to Hattulantie
Route 1 temporarily reverts to its prior to 2017 route
Further along Sturenkatu, from junction with Mäkelänkatu to junction with Hämeentie
In addition to most of the above entry, used by routes 6 & 8 on diversion.
Additionally trams from or to Koskelan depot or Vallila depot would use this section in entering or leaving service for routes 1 and 7. In earlier years, trams coming off service ran advertised to either depot but there is no indication in published timetables for 2017 of any such workings - trams are advertised only to the last stopping place on their normal route. Reports of any depot workings that do carry passengers over this section would be welcomed by the compilers.
Kauppatori: west to north curve (giving west to north run from Unioninkatu to Pohjoisesplanadi)
Spårakoff pub tram (see below). Note that there is an anti-clockwise one-way system between Senaatintori and Kauppatori used by Route 2.
Kauppiaankatu - Katajanokan terminaali loop
Route 5 operates all days but with significant gaps in service, [and varies by season] - primarily related to connections with Viking Line sailings.
Kalevankatu north-east to south-east [Hietalahti]
Route 6 operates as an anti-clockwise loop and this curve is only used until about 13:15, and between 19:00 & 21:15, out side of which trams continue as route 6T to Länsiterminaali (next entry). This section of route is expected to be abandoned in the next phase of route changes.
Kalevankatu north-east to west and west to south-east [Hietalahti]
Route 6T to and from Länsiterminaali. These curves are used only after about 13:15, until end of service except between 19:00 & 21:15. This section of route is expected to be abandoned in the next phase of route changes.
Vallila - Koskelan halliin (Koskela tram depot)
The depot is at the end of a branch about 1.5 km long off the north end of routes 6 and 8. In earlier years, trams coming off service ran advertised to the depot but there is no indication in published timetables for 2017 of any such workings to or from this depot. Reports of any depot workings that do carry passengers over otherwise unserved lines or curves to this depot would be welcomed by the compilers.
Erottaja - Kolmikulma turning circle
This anti-clockwise turning circle via Yrjönkatu and Uudenmaankatu has no regular service, but is often used during engineering works (such as was the case during July and August 2017 by route 7) to provide a turn-back facility for a route that is partially blocked.
The large anti-clockwise terminal loop regularly used by route 9 at Pasila has two connecting curves on its eastern side which have no regular use but are used to provide a similar circular turn-back facility for route 7 when that is blocked by engineering work west of Pasila (such as was the case during July and August 2017).
SpåraKOFF Pub Tram
The SpåraKOFF Pub Tram (scroll down to Spårakoff and click the box Reitti ja aikataulu on that page) operates an anti-clockwise circuit from Mikonkatu (Railway Square - on east side of main railway station; its only pick-up point) via Linnanmäki, Ooperatalo, Ylioppilastalo and Kauppatori, during the course of which it uses the following lines and curves which have no other passenger service:
- North to east curve out of Mikonkatu
- East to south curve at Oopera from Nordenskiödinkatu into Mannerheimintie
- East to south curve at Snallmaninkatu from Liisankatu into Kaisaniemenkatu (opposite direction to vintage tram)
- Loop off Kaisaniemenkatu via Vilhonkatu to return to Mikonkatu (completes anti-clockwise circuit here)
- Platform loop at Kauppatori (giving west to east run from Unioninkatu to Pohjoisesplanadi) (as does vintage tram)
- South to north curve near Senaatintori from Katariinankatu to Snellmaninkatu across Aleksanterinkatu
2018 service: SuX, 4 May - 29 September, hourly from 14:00 to 20:00 (also earlier and later journeys as advertised in peak summer). Departures have been known to leave early if the tram was full.
The Oy Stadin Ratikat's vintage tram operates a clockwise circuit from Kauppatori (although it is briefly anti-clockwise there) via the route shown on their website during the course of which it uses the following lines and curves which have no other passenger service: 2019 Fare €6
- South to east curve at Snallmaninkatu from Kaisaniemenkatu into Liisankatu (opposite direction to SpåraKOFF Pub Tram)
- East to south curve at Senaatintori from Aleksanterinkatu into Unioninkatu
- Platform loop at Kauppatori (giving west to east run from Unioninkatu to Pohjoisesplanadi) (as does SpåraKOFF Pub Tram)
2019 service: SSuO, 18 May - 1 September (but see their website for additions and exceptions such as Mid-summer weekend), at 10:00 and every 20 to 30 mins until 17:00. During bad weather the service may be cancelled.