Germany - Tram services over obscure routes
Some tram systems advertise their depot workings and enable one to ascertain the regular use by passenger-carrying services of junctions or sections of line that do not otherwise see public service. This occasional series lists such services that have come to notice. While the data for each system is current at the date stated, it is not the intention to endeavour to keep every entry up to date at every service change - the listing serves as a guide for travellers as to the sort of services they can look out for, enabling them to check current published timetable material at their time of travel.
To assist in tracing services, the route and/or timetable number for each journey is shown in parentheses, e.g. (1). Days of operation are in English notation (respectively: Su, M, T, W, Th, F, S) - plus "O" for only, "X" for excepted. Su (Sundays) usually includes public holidays in mainland Europe - but check locally.
Listings for other systems throughout the world - in the same format as shown below (please include date of timetable validity) - will always be welcomed.
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 7 October 2007
North-west to south-east curve at Landgericht
- Between Sieker and Senne as advertised as www.mobiel.de/fahrplanbuch.inc.php route 12.
South-west curve at Rathaus
- Between Sieker Mitte and Senne as advertised as www.mobiel.de/fahrplanbuch.inc.php route 18.
Bochum: BGS-AG Bogestra
From PDF on-line in December 2019
- A single track intermediate section of route 310 between Bochum Unterstrasse and Witten Crengeldanz is to be replaced by a new alignment and has in theory already closed as it is bus replaced. The section beyond Witten Crengeldanz to Witten Heven Dorf remains open as a shuttle and the current timetable shows one early morning tram positioning journey using the old route as confirmed by a footnote "fährt über Am Honnengraben". This is the 03:49 SSuX from Bochum Ertzstrasse to Witten Heven Dorf and it is expected to continue running until the new Langendreer Markt - Witten Crengeldanz line opens in Autumn 2020. The December 2019 Timetable. There is no return working.
From a May 2019 report
Wilhelmsplatz East to north curve
- Bonn route 65 which has a sparse mainly early mornings and evenings service runs via the curve from Wilhelmsplatz to B v Suttner Platz
North-west curve at Gördenbrücke
Used by route 1 depot workings - advertised journeys in timetable dated 18 December 2018:
- From Hohenstücken Betriebshof to Anton-Saefkow Allee (route 1 outbound):
- Mondays to Fridays at 04:29, 05:00, 05:13, 05:48, 06:10, 06:30, 11:44, 16:08 (route 6: 16:03 from Hohenstücken Nord on school days)
- Saturdays at 05:57, 06:27
- Sundays and public holidays at 08:00, 08:30, 08:55
- From Anton-Saefkow Allee to Hohenstücken Betriebshof (route 1 inbound):
- Mondays to Fridays at 05:29, 07:54, 08:28, 19:33, 20:15, 20:35, 20:55, 21:15
- Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays at 20:14, 20:44
Hohenstücken Betriebshof (public stop) onto the depot spur (south-east curve)
In the public timetable dated 18 December 2018, the route 1 departure from Anton-Saefkow Allee at 05:29 (listed above) is shown running to "Betriebshof VBBr", arriving just in time to run round the depot loop and form a departure from there at 05.46 (the 05:48 from Hohenstücken Betriebshof listed above). It is assumed these services only convey staff at this point, but the other route 1 workings shown to terminate or start at the public stop here also run into or out of the depot but empty as they have no "Betriebshof VBBr" times. Clarification would be welcome.
North-west curve at Fouquéstrasse
Used by the Sundays-only route 12 (combining the outer ends of routes 1 and 2) and route 2 depot workings.
January 2020 update: the whole of the branch to Quenzbrücke is temporarily closed, due to bridge work at Bahnhof Altstadt. Therefore routes 2 and 12 are suspended, and this curve sees no service. However, advertised journeys in the timetable dated 12 December 2004 were:
- From Hohenstücken Betriebshof to Quenzbrücke (route 2 outbound):
- Mondays to Fridays at 04:44, 05:38, 05:51
- Saturdays at 06:17, 07:28
- Sundays and public holidays at 08:17, 09:21
- From Quenzbrücke to Hohenstücken Betriebshof (route 2 inbound):
- Mondays to Fridays at 17:52, 20:04
- Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays at 20.04, 20:24
On a recent visit (3/2016) it was observed weekday works on route 8, to adapt it for new trams, have closed the section north of Domsheide [Mon - Fri, not holidays] with replacement by bus #8E which have been ongoing seemingly since 5/10/2015. However, in order to turn the single ended trams, running on the remaining southern section of route 8, they are routed north east at the Westerstrasse junction, keeping with route 1 until Am Brill. Here the southwest to southeast curve, without regular service, is taken to join routes 2 & 3 as far as Domsheide. Here the west to south curve, with only a seasonal service, is taken to return to route 8, but now going back southwards. On Saturdays, Sundays & Public holidays the whole length of route 8 has normal tram operation.
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 8 March 2008
South-west curve Friedrich Ebert Str - Oster Str [- Westerstr.]
- From Huchting to Geschäftsstelle Neustadt: 00:19 (1/8), 00:49 MO (1/8), 03:49 MX (1/8), 09:39 SO (1/8), 20:24 SSuX (1/8), 20:38 SSuX (1/8), 20:33 SSuO (1/8), 20:44 SSuX (1), 20:53 SSuO (1/8), 20:58 SSuX (1)
- Seasonal Sunday historic tram route 15
North-east - South-east curve at Westerstr.
- In evenings from 20:40 to 22:25 route 8 makes an anti-clockwise circuit from Hauptbahnhof to Domsheide via this curve
- Seasonal Sunday historic tram routes 15 and 16 (Neustadtring)
North-east - South-east curve at Kleinkirchbacher
- Kurt-Huber Str. - Borgfeld: 03:31 (N4)
Hansator - Lloydstr. connecting line
- From Gröpelingen to Domsheide: SSuX in-bound journeys on route 3S, every 20 minutes from 06:32 SSuX to 09:12 SSuX
- Seasonal Sunday historic tram routes 15 and 16 (Altstadring)
North-west curve at Sielwall
- From Gröpelingen via Hauptbahnhof to Haferkamp: 07:12 SSuX (3S/2E)
- From Gröpelingen via Domsheide to Hauptbahnhof: 07:32 SSuX (certain dates only) (3S)
- Seasonal Sunday historic tram route 15
Georg Bitter Str. - Bennigsenstr. connecting line
- From Sebaldsbrück to Weserwehr: 04:16 SO (3), 04:24 SSuX (3), 04:36 SO (3), 08:47 SO (3), 09:07 SO (3) [note: although shown in on-line journey planner, these journeys are not advertised at stops between Sebaldsbrück and Bennigsenstr.]
- From Weserwehr to Sebaldsbrück : 17:56 SO (3), 18:16 SO (3), 20:36 SSuX (3), 23:46 (3), 00:16 (3)
South-east to south-west curve at Theater am Leibnizplatz
- From Arsten to Geschäftsstelle Neustadt: 00:25 SuO (6E), 03:55 MX (6E), 20:17 SO (6E), 20:50 SSuX (6E), 22:33 SuO (6E), 22:39 SO (6E), 23:12 (6E) [note: these 6E journeys are shown on timetable 4/5]
- From Geschäftsstelle Neustadt to Arsten: 03:39 (N4), 04:02 SO (4), 04:15 SSuX (4), 04:22 SO (4), 04:30 SSuX (4), 05:02 SO (4), 05:31 SSuX (4), 05:40 SSuX (4), 06:23 SuO (4), 08:44 SO (4), 09:04 SO (4), 14:12 SSuX (4), 23:39 SO (N4)
- Trams starting or finishing at Geschäftsstelle Neustadt do so at platforms at the entrance to the depot branch (these are city-side of BSAG-Zentrum stops). Such workings are shown in the BSAG timetable - see particularly table 6, but also other tables with journeys noted "bis [to] Geschäftsstelle Neustadt" or "von [from] Geschäftsstelle Neustadt".
North-east curve at Domsheide
- From Sebaldsbrück to Osterholz Züricher Str.: 05:13 SSuX (10)
- Seasonal Sunday historic tram route 15
South-west curve at Domsheide
- Seasonal Sunday historic tram route 15
South-west curve at Hauptbahnhof
- Seasonal Sunday historic tram routes 15 and 16
Southeast - southwest curve at Haferkamp
- Seasonal Sunday historic tram routes 15 and 16 (Altstadt ring)
Northwest - southwest curve at Am Brill
- Seasonal Sunday historic tram route 16 (Neustadt ring)
- Seasonal Sunday historic tram route 15
- Used as turnback facility (in service) for routes from south or west turning short at Hauptbahnhof because of engineering work further east
- It is not clear whether this branch is used by special service during exhibitions at Bremen Messe - reports of such use would be welcomed
Doventor - Doventor-Steinweg via D.V.Büren Str. connecting line
- Seasonal Sunday historic tram route 16 (Neustadt ring)
Seasonal Sunday historic tram routes operate only on dates advertised: route 15 on second Sunday of month, route 16 on fourth Sunday of month.
Route 15 departs Hauptbahnhof (platform F, in front of the Übersee-Museum) at 10:30, 14:00, 15:30.
Route 16 departs Hauptbahnhof (platform F, in front of the Übersee-Museum) every 30 minutes from 10:30 to 16:00.
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 31 August 2015, route 2 & 4 amended by engineering work closure of line to Sachsendorf from 14 September 2015
Bonnaskenplatz - Schmellwitz Anger
- Trams (route 1) run only SSuX, between ca.05:00 and ca.18:00 (buses other days and times). From the above timetable date all services are replaced by Buses but this is believed to be for improvement works rather than the long rumoured closure
West to north curve at Stadthalle
- From Ströbitz to Neu Schmellwitz (route 3): 20:40 Daily & 20:44 SSuX
- From Jessener Str. to Neu Schmellwitz (route 5): 20:36 SSuO
- From observations trams from the Depot run in public service and call at both Stadthalle N and W so additional journeys may use this curve from Stadthalle N at approximately 04:35, & 05:50 SSuX
East to north curve at Stadthalle
- From Stadthalle (Bahnsteig C) to Sandow (route 2): 04:28 SSuX, 05:43 SSuX, 05:58 SSuX
- From Sandow to Neu Schmellwitz (route 2): 17:55 SSuX, 20:38 SSuX, 20:45 SSuX & (route 5) 20:39 SSuO
Neu Schmellwitz to Betriebshof Schmellwitz
- Route 4 A section to/from the only Depot for the whole network beyond the usual turning circle for this route has irregular timetabled journeys, more frequent at start and end of peak periods. During the Sachsendorf closure period there are no in Service journeys at weekends.
Lutherstrasse connecting line
- Route 2 SSuX between 18:25 and 20:25
- All Route 5 SSuO. Note on Sundays runs only between approximately 12:15 to 20:20
North to East at Hauptbahnhof/Thiemstrasse
- Route 2 SSuX between 18:20 and 20:20
- Route 5 but only towards Jessener Strasse SSuO. Note on Sundays only runs between approximately 12:15 to 20:20
South to West at Hauptbahnhof/Thiemstrasse
- Route 5 but only towards Jessener Strasse SSuO. Note on Sundays only runs between approximately 12:15 to 20:20
West to South at Görlitzer Str
- Route 2 from Sachsendorf depart 17:57 SSuX to Sandow
- All Route 2 SSuX between 18:20 and 20:20
- All Route 5 SSuO. Note on Sundays only runs between approximately 12:15 to 20:30
As per August 2017 journey
Westfalenstadion branch: Signal-Iduna-Park
Events at the above are the only time services use this short branch with triangular junction access from the Westfalenhalen and Remydamm directions. For a BVB Dortmund evening football match on Saturday 26th August 2017, the DSW21 journey planner showed a 10 minute interval route U46E service as extensions beyond the normal route 46 terminus of Westfalenhalen via Signal-Iduna-Park [including in service via the sizeable loop there] to continue via Remydamm to Hauptbahnhof to terminate and vice versa. Note this U46E continued to run whilst the match was underway in addition to numerous additional journeys before and after the game.
From the timetable dated 19 September 2016. This list is not comprehensive as numerous other curves may be used by Depot workings as timings are not shown on their off route sections. These entries are from PDF searches for route termini departures plus tram stop panels on October 2016 and April 2017 visits. Timetable information as opposed to a journey planner is hard to locate on their website so is linked here
Bishofsweg North to East
- Journeys from Kiefernweg on Route 8 departing 21:09 SuX and 00:51 Sunday morning, plus from Weixdorf on Route 7 at 03:50 Sunday morning and 01:01 Monday morning on Route 7 use this curve to reach Trachenberge Depot.
Anton/Leipziger Strasse South to East & Bf Neustadt West to North curves
- Route 9 from Kaditz at 21:30 SSuX to reach Trachenberge Depot.
Dresden Mitte East side, South to North
- Route 10 from Hp. Freiberger Straße at 20:48 SuX & 21:18 SSuX to reach Trachenberge Depot.
Dresden Mitte West side, South to North
- Not in the PDF but a traveller on a Bank Holiday came across a Route 10 journey from Gorbitz Depot at 08:14 to Messe Dresden departing via Route 2 which used this curve, and its return journey fits in with a service increase on Sundays from Messe.
Liststrasse West to North
- Route 13 from Riegelplatz at 03:56 Daily to Trachenberge Depot.
Pirnaischer Platz north to west
The Tram Museum operate a vintage tram route 16 as a circular service from their Depot at Trachenberge and this is the only non-passenger curve it uses. Normal DVB tickets are valid and see their website for Rundfahrten mit historischen Bahnen for operating days. Timings are posted at relevant tramstops.
This is the terminus for routes 10 and 12 but there is no loop as Trams simply change from one route to the other at stop Ludwig-Hartmann-Strasse. Therefore all route 10's travel via the north to west curve here.
Friedhof Lauben north to west
- Route 6 journeys towards Reick Depot at 22:31 23:03 SuX, 22:17 SuO
- Taken from August 2018 IBSE Telegramm. A new loop replacing the closed turnback triangle, used on Schooldays only by route 12 or E6 at 07:46, 07:59 and 14.36 and 14:51
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 12 June 2005
Rheinbahnhaus turning circle (route U74)
- From Rheinbahnhaus eastwards: 03:09 SSuO, 03:39 SSuO, 06:04 SuO and half-hourly to 09:04 SuO, 10:34 SuO, 11:34 SuO, 12:34 SuO
Sportpark Nord/Europaplatz loop (route U78)
- Two outward journeys per hour use this loop (except when an expanded service is in operation on U78 for Messe and arena events); note that inward journeys do not use this loop
Polizeipräsidium (clockwise) loop
- Route 704 before 06:20 SSuX and after 19:15 SSuX, also SSuO (but no service 08:55 SO to 16:20 SO)
- Route 719 06:20 SSuX to 19:12 SSuX
Südfriedhof turning circle (route 709)
- From Gerresheim Krankenhaus to Hauptbahnhof via Südfriedhof: 23:48 SuO
Jan-Wellem-Platz northern platform loop [platforms 7 and 8]
- Anti-clockwise circuit through platform 7 (outward non-stop via platform 3): route 711 between 07:54 SSuX and 10:04 SSuX and again between 15:35 SSuX and 17:35 SSuX
- Platform 8 to west curve: departures from platform 8 at 04:44 SuX (712), 05:04 SuX (712), 05:25 SO (712), 05:34 SSuX (712), 06:04 SSuX (712), 06:34 SSuX (712), 08:40 SuO (712), 17:12 Sch (713), 17:22 Sch (713), 17:32 Sch (713), 17:42 Sch (713) [0722 Sch, 07:32 Sch and 07:42 Sch route 713 workings from Holthausen may arrive via this curve]. Sch denotes school-days only
- Platform 7 to west curve: route 715 departures from platform 7 at 05:11 SSuX, 05:31 SSuX, 05:38 SO, 05:51 SSuX, 05:58 SO, 06:11 SSuX, 06:18 SO, 06:38 SO, 06:58 SO, 19:46 SSuX, 20:08 SuX, 20:28 SSuX, 20:48 SSuX
Bruchstrasse (anti-clockwise) loop (routes 716 and 719)
- Route 716: from Universität Ost to Kettwiger Strasse (or beyond) via Bruchstrasse: 17:08 Sch, 17:58 Sch, 18:08 Sch. Sch denotes school-days only
- Route 719: from Polizeipräsidium to Polizeipräsidium via Bruchstrasse: 07:51 SSuX, 15:42 FO/1742 FSSuX and every 10 minutes to 16:22 FO/1822 FSSuX
(also other journeys advertised into - but not out of - Bruchstrasse)
Flingern S-Bahnhof east to south curve (route 716)
- On schooldays only, between 06:15 and 09:15 and again between 15:10 and 18:30
- Also one SSuX non school-days round trip at 06:26 from Auf'm Hennekamp (stop 3) to Staufenplatz and 06:52 return
Auf'm Hennekamp northeast to southeast curve
- Route 716 on schooldays only, between 06:45 and 09:25 and again between 14:55 and 18:15
- Also from Auf'm Hennekamp (stop 4) to Benrath or Universität Ost: 07:13 SSuX (716), 10:22 SO (701), 15:24 SuO (701), 15:26 SSuX (711)
Wiesenhügel loop and Abzweig Wiesenhügel West to South
All route N3 journeys to Urbicher Kreuz also serve Wiesenhügel via the above rare sections
Domplatz Süd South to North
Route 4 at 00:47 TWThFSO en route to Bhf Nordhauser Strasse
Hauptfriedhof turning circle
This is the old terminal loop before the extension of route 4 via the Flughaven to Bindersleben which is on the other side of a main road from the through tracks. Inbound and outbound trams use approximately one quarter each of the loop which is used by half of the service all days of the week.
"Stadtpark" loop with Löberwallgraben departure stop
Route 5 officially terminates at Erfurt Hauptbahnhof but there is no turning circle there so all trams continue to the clockwise street loop described as Stadtpark in the 2005 Strassenbahn Atlas. There is a departure stop near the loop exit named Löberwallgraben at which you can board departing trams as it is found in the journey planner but this is not listed in the timetable nor shown on system maps. Asking to stay on the tram at the Hauptbahnhof to travel to Löberwallgraben is known to have been successful.
There are two stops with the same name for this Route 5 Terminus, stay on after calling at the first as the second serves the adjacent bus station
Until 20.45 Route 6 uses an anti-clockwise loop to terminate on a third track, after this time all route 1 and 6 trams arrive on one route and depart as the other on platforms 1 and 2.
Although shown on maps in the same style as a tram line, this is a bus route
Daily in summer and on other occasions, there is scope for rare curves in Erfurt City centre, especially for the two connections between the separate single line sections of Route 2. Further information would be appreciated by the Compilers.
Frankfurt am Main: VGF
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 12 December 2004
Southeast - southwest curve at Hauptbahnhof Südseite
- From Hauptbahnhof Südseite to Rheinlandstrasse, Südbahnhof, Offenbach Stadtgrenze or Stadion (routes 12,15,16,19,21): 03:36, 03:48 SSuX, 03:49 SO, 04:09 SuO, 04:18 SSuX, 04:19 SSuO, 04:31 SuX, 04:32 SuO, 04:38 SSuX, 04:39 SuO, 04:51 SuX, 04:52 SuO, 04:53 SSuX, 04:58 SSuX, 05:01 SSuX, 05:08 SSuX, 05:11 SuX, 05:12 SuO, 05:13 SSuX, 05:32 SSuX, 05:36 SuO, 06:07 SO, 06:13 SSuX, 06:23 SSuX, 07:01 SO, 07:08 SO, 07:22 SO, 07:08 SO, 07:28 SO, 07:48 SO, 10:48 SuO, 11:08 SuO, 11:28 SuO, 11:48 SuO, 12:02 SuO, 12:08 SuO, 12:22 SuO, 12:28 SuO
- From Rheinlandstrasse to Hauptbahnhof Südseite (routes 12 and 19): 00:55, 01:15 MO, 13:35 SSuX, 13:45 SSuX, 20:45 SO
- From Südbahnhof to Hauptbahnhof Südseite (route 15): 00:51, 01:11, 01:21, 20:18
- From Offenbach Stadtgrenze to Hauptbahnhof Südseite (route 16): 00:48, 01:18, 20:58, 21:18, 21:38, 21:58
- From Stadion to Hauptbahnhof Südseite (route 21): 00:47, 01:07, 19:35 SSuO, 19:55 SSuO, 20:15 SSuO, 20:35 SSuX
Daimlerstrasse to Johanna Tesch Platz
- From Fechenheim Hugo Junkers Strasse to Johanna Tesch Platz (route 12): 00:29, 20:03 SSuX
Southeast to southwest curve at Saalburg/Wittelsbacherallee
- From Saalburg/Wittelsbacherallee [route 12 stop, direction Bornheim Mitte] to Neu Isenburg Stadtgrenze (route 14): 04:16 SSuX, 04:31 SO, 04:46 SSuX, 04:51 SSuO, 04:56 SSuX, 05:06 SSuX, 05:11 SuO, 05:26 SSuX, 05:51 SuO, 06:56 SO, 07:16 SO, 07:56 SO, 12:16 SuO, 12:36 SuO
Rebstöcker Strasse - Galluswarte
- There are alternative routes via Schwalbacher Strasse or via Galluspark/VHS; the latter route is used only as follows: eastbound from 13:20 SuX to 20:00 SuX and westbound from 05:15 SuX to 10:00 SuX. At all other times the route via Schwalbacher Strasse is used.
Turning circles at Zoo and at Festhalle/Messe
- Used by Ebbelwei-Express (sightseeing service), up to eight round trips SSuO, as advertised
Frankfurt Oder: SVF
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 10 December 2017. Note most routes do not run on Sundays.
Bahnhof - North to West curve to/from Kleist Forum - [Messegelände]
- Route 5 with departures from Bahnhof at 04:10/40 then every 20 minutes from 06:06 - 09:06 & 16:26 - 17:26 Monday to Friday, 06:14 & 06:44 on Saturdays and Sundays, or from Kleist Forum every 20 minutes from 06:26 - 08:46 & 16:06 - 17:46 Monday to Friday plus 22:44 and 23:14 daily.
Advertised journeys in timetable dated January 2016
Schmelzhüttenstraße - Heinrichstraße
- The trackplan on the doprava.unas.cz website correctly shows three single track routes via separate streets between these two points. As at November 2016, the southernmost was used by route 1 trams from Zwötzen towards Untermhaus, and the middle by route 1 trams from Untermhaus to Zwötzen. The third running south to north to arrive at Heinrichstraße from the north is only used by route 1 trams from Zwötzen towards the Depot with departures from Schmelzhüttenstraße at 20:51, 00:06, 00:36 SSuX, 18:56, 19:26 SSuO, 00:06, 00:36 Saturday and Monday morning, 01:11, 01:41 Sunday morning.
Bahnhof Zwötzen - Fußgängerbrücke
- Route 2 over this four tram stop section only runs Mondays - Fridays between 05:15 and 20:00. There are additional journeys to/from Betriebshof GVB and Fußgängerbrücke using the south side of the Fußgängerbrücke triangle and part of the above route on all days of the week.
Fußgängerbrücke east to north
- Twelve Route 3 Journeys from stop Betriebshof GVB between 04:08 and 06:23 SSuX, five on Saturdays between 05:08 and 09:11 and 04:03, 5:08, 06:32, 11:48, 12:13 [Route 2] and 12:18 on Sundays.
- Inbound Depot workings departing Keplerstraße at 08:10, 08:30, 08:50, 17:10, 20:59, 21:02 SSuX 00:17, 00:47, 01:02 Saturday morning, 16:00, 19:07, 19:30, 19:37 SO, 01:02 Sunday morning, 19:05 SuO & 00:17, 00:47 & 01:01 Monday morning
Lusan/Brüte turning circle
- Part of Route 3 terminates ¼ way in, and departs 1/3rd out of this loop between 05:25 and 16:25 SSuX
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 15 December 2013 [current in October 2016]
Bahnhof/Sudausgang West to South
- Despite Route 2 PDF advising the 19:28 journey connects with a Town Centre bound Route 3 implying a call at stops opposite each other after the above curve, a traveller in October 2016 was asked to get off the tram at the stop before the curve [Bahnhof] as the driver needed to leave the vehicle to manually switch the point. It is not known if the later journeys may traverse the curve in service but it is thought unlikely. Departures are from Lutherstrasse at 19:28, 19:48 & 20:08 SSuX and 20:16 SSuO so any further confirmation would be appreciated by the Compilers.
Advertised journeys from 15 December 2019.
Huttenstraße East to West
- Only used by Route 3 which has a very limited service with departures from Gartenstraße towards Ostbahnhof at 04:26 & 05:24 SSuX, 08:28 SO and 09:28 SuO, and from Hersdorfplatz towards Wagenhalle at 17:38, 19:01, 22:46 SSuX, 19:03 SSuO.
Sundhausen - Boxberg via Kreiskrankenhaus
- A few Route 4 journeys run via the Kreiskrankenhaus terminus of route 1. These are the only services to use the direct NE <> SW line between Kreiskrankenhaus and Boxberg at the triangle south of Sundhausen. Departures from Sundhausen at 04:59, 05:33, 05:59, 06:20, 07:09, 20:06, 21:06 SSuX 08:06, 20:06 SSuO or from Boxberg at 04:48, 05:30, 06:06, 18:25, 19:25, 20:13, 21:13, 22:13 SSuX, 17:29, 18:25, 19:25, 20:13, 21:13 SSuO
Waltershausen Gleisdreieck West to North
- The on-line PDF shows use by one pair of trams each week, a Saturdays only 07:28 from Waltershausen Bahnhof departing Waltershausen Ohrdrufer Straße at 07:33 arriving Bad Tabarz at 07:52 and a return at 07:54 from Bad Tabarz to Waltershausen Bahnhof departing Schnepfenthal at 08:08.
Waltershausen Gleisdreieck East to North
- The Route 6 shuttle to/from Waltershausen Bahnhof terminates on the East curve so its complete length is only done by limited through services on/off route 4 from Waltershausen Ohrdrufer Straße at 20:35 SSuX, 19:29 SSuO, and Wahlwinkel at 04:55 SSuX, 07:15 SO, 08:57 SuO
Waltershausen Bahnhof loop
- The Route 6 shuttle to/from Waltershausen Gleisdreieck if worked by a double ended tram may not use the full loop here, but run direct to the terminal stop.
This network is undergoing significant upgrading and the German Society IBSE published the following rare route summary with effect from a timetable change on 10 August 2017. The following sections are used on Mo-Fr (without guarantee and without claim to completeness):
- The loop at Heide is approached by 07.48, 08.03 and 19.20 hrs (the first two times only on school days). A ride depends on the driver.
- From Heide, trams at 07.52 and 19.26 run via the W-S curve at Franckeplatz - Vogelweide - Damaschkestraße to Rosengarten. Before the Rosengarten exit they turn left onto the operating route. There are other trams from Kröllwitz use the same routing.
- A tram from Heide at 08:29 am from the 3rd platform runs via the N-W curve at Rennbahnkreuz to change to a line 16 at Göttinger Bogen at about 9 o'clock. There may be others.
- At 19.42 a line 1 from Beesen heading for Rosengarten travels via Südstadt - Böllberg - W-S curve Rannischer Platz - Vogelweide. From December 2017 this curve will be in regular use
- A 5E from Ammendorf at 06.43 hrs drives via Vogelweide, the S-E curve at Franckeplatz and the W-N curve at Riebeckplatz to Steintor to continue at 07.11 as 1E to Beesen.
- In the evening, several trams of line 3 from Veszpremer Straße use the Franckeplatz to Hauptbahnhof curve.
- Notable is the combination of line 10 and E from Göttinger Bogen at 18.55 running via Markt - Berlin Brücke - Hauptbahnhof - Franckeplatz E-S curve to Rosengarten.
- From 20.00 onwards, line 94 uses the Franckeplatz N - W curve to go to Kröllwitz.
- The Steintor N-E curve (from Reileck to Berliner Brücke) is used in the evening by three trams: line 12 at 19.49 and 20.04 from Trotha and line 7 at 20.05 from Kröllwitz. From Ammendorf to Rosengarten (S-E-branch), line 5 runs at 18.00 and 20.03 hours. From the Elsa-Brändström-Straße loop over the track change Vogelweide to Rosengarten line 8 runs at 20.38.
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 15 April 2018. Note it is only possible to travel the complete system including both entries below on a Saturday as Route 1 does not run on Sundays.
Klus branch (Herbingstrasse west junction - Klus - Herbingstrasse east junction)
- From Sargstedter Weg to Hauptbahnhof (route 2): 08:00 SO / 09:00 SSuO and hourly to 18:00 SSuO [note: route used only on these days and only in this direction - all other route 2 journeys use direct curve at Herbingstrasse]
- The terminus of Route 1 at Friedhof does not have a turning circle, therefore as in February 2018, if worked by single ended trams they change direction on departure by reversing in passenger service via a triangle at the entrance to the adjacent Depot.
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 11 August 2016
Stadtzentrum Holzmarkt - Stadtzentrum Löbdergraben
- All Route 33 journeys which only runs 21:15 to 00:15 Daily or additionally between 04:15 to 07:45 SO or to 11:45 SuO.
- Half of the service on routes 2 and 3 run through changing route here so a complete traversal of the loop is guaranteed. Note all route 34 journeys also run via Winzerla loop during its limited operating hours.
From a May 2019 report. This is such a large system that there are assumed to be other rare route opportunities, reports would be welcomed by the Compilers.
Link from Messe Deutz [Line 3] to/from Deutz Technische Hochschule [Line 1]
- Midweek evening Depot journeys on route E from Vischeringstrasse to Merheim
This link line has a triangle at the west end, and in November 2012 the curve from the south was used by an mid evening Depot Bound route E4 from Suevenstraße
Details from timetables dated 27 August 2020 which can be found here These are listed by stop so as the network has nine routes totalling 59km other rare use of curves are assumed to exist.
- Route 3 running SSuX is the only route to use three curves, namely Hauptbahnhof Ost - Verkehrsbetriebe, Südring north east - Hertzstraße & Raiffeisenstraße west to south
- Routes 4 & 4a normally split to reach separate termini in the NE suburbs at Kafertaler Wald and Waldfriedhof but but after 21.00 Daily, plus up to 9am Saturdays and all day Sunday both termini are served on the same journeys meaning use of a W to N curve at Hermann-Gutzmann schule.
Depot runs to Rheingönheim via Ludwigshafen Hbf via south exit to Saarlandstraße
- German contacts advised of the above rare route E workings but a journey planner search failed to find them in May 2020 so please check before travelling
Duale Hochschule - Hans-Thoma-Straße & SAP-Arena - SAP-Arena Süd
- From 22 May 2020 one tram departing Edingen Bahnhof at 07:04 SSuX described as route 9, Line E uses both the above curves to arrive at Mannheim Hbf at 07:37
As per the timetable dated 11 December 2016
Grillparzerstraße – Haidenauplatz
- This section connecting lines 19 and 25 has no scheduled service but as this large tram network has only one Depot east of Einsteinstraße on route 19, trams going in and out of service to/from St-Velt-Straße will use this section.
It should be noted that on being at Einsteinstraße around 09:00 on a Sunday in April 2017 there was a constant stream of trams coming off the Depot, all of which went into service from this stop on the way to their correct route. There were no timetables at the stop so numerous other curves around the Max-Weber Platz area should be possible on these trams
Ostfriedhof West to South
- Night Tram N27, running daily between Petuelring and Großhesseloher Brücke via Karlsplatz (Stachus) near München Hauptbahnhof. Southbound services between 01:42 and 04:42 from stop Mariahilfplatz or northbound between 01:17 and 04:17 from stop Silberhornstraße.
Hochschule München loop
- Route 22 SSuX between 07:00 and 19:00 with no service during Summer School Holidays [31.7 - 11.9.2017]. This loop can be completely traversed with an arrival and departure and note departure goes through an opening in a housing block.
Vogelwiese - Salztor
- It is planned to reopen this additional 440 metre section during 2017
This city has an unusual operating practice as inbound Depot services are only shown on timetables as short journeys to the last stop on line of route. There both stop screens and tram destinations are changed to show them as route "D" to Frankenstraße although timings for these journeys are listed in the Journey planner. Outbound from Frankenstraße to line of route are also shown in the journey planner as route D's. Route Timetables are not easy to locate on the VAG website so as at December 2019 they could be found here
Brehmstraße south to east & Christuskirch west to south
- Route D departures from Brahmstraße to Frankenstraße at 18:21/31 SSuX, 20:36/38 & 00:45, 01:05 Daily
- Route D departures from Frankenstraße to Brahmstraße at 04:29/49, 06:16/26/36, 11:36/46 SSuX, 04:50 SO, 08:48 SuO
Christuskirch west to south
- Route D departures from Landgrabenstraße to Frankenstraße at 08:29/39/49/59, 17:29/39/49, 19:27/48, 20:08, 00:38/58, 01:18 SSuX, 20:27/48, 21:08 SO, 00:38/58, 01:18 SSuO
- Route D departures from Frankenstraße to Am Wegfeld at 04:24/34/54, 05:14, 06:00/10/20, 11:20/30/40 SSuX, 04:24/42, 05:02 SSuO
Schweiggerstraße south to west
- Route 7/D departures from Wodanstraße to Frankenstraße at 20:55 SX, 00:41 Daily
- Route D departures from Schweiggerstraße west to Tristanstraße at 05:15 SSuX, 08:55 SO, 09:09 SuO
Schweiggerstraße north to west
- Route 8/D departures from Scheurlstraße to Frankenstraße at 08:01 SSuX, 20:33/53, 00:54, 01:14 Daily
- Route D departures from Nürnberg Hummelsteiner Weg to Erlenstegen at 04:34, 05:01/21 SSuX, 04:34/54, 08:41 So, 04:35/55 SuO
Rathenauplatz - Rennweg - Friedrich Ebert Platz (part of former route 9)
- 2019 timings for Route 15 Historische Burgringlinie "Oldtimer" tram, which operates SSuO of the first weekend of each month except January. See the Timetable.
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 15 December 2019. PDFs are available here
Platz der Einheit/Nord street loop
There are double track north/south and roughly east/west routes with this city centre anti-clockwise street loop with triangle junctions at the east and north ends connecting them. Route 99 running SSuX only until 19:20 terminates on this loop from the east so does the east to north and east to south curves on this loop, so this entry is the west to north curve from stop Platz der Einheit/Bildungsforum onto the street loop as it is only used by the following journeys to reverse direction:
- Route 91 at 04:39, 04:59, 08:04 SuX 06:39, 06:59 SuO
- Route 93 at 05:09, 06:54 SSuX
- Route 96 (last timed from stop Alt Markt/Landtag as Platz der Einheit/Bildungsforum is off route) at 05:35 Daily, 20:24, 20:44 SSuO
- Route 98 at 06:43, 13:54 SSuX (off route but timed at Platz der Einheit/Bildungsforum!)
The east to north curve after stop Platz der Einheit/Nord has no booked service.
There is a terminating stub on a different alignment from the through line which is only scheduled for use each evening after 19:25 SSuX 19:50 SSuO or early Saturday morning until 08:00 or Sunday morning until 10:00
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 9 December 2012
W to N Doberaner Platz
- Depot runs displayed on route 3 PDF stops from Neuer Friedhof to Saarplatz as Route E to Hans-Schütz-Straße departing Saarplatz at: 20:29 SSuX, 20:34 SO, 20:35 SuO, 00:18 Daily.
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 1 March 2013
S to W Haselholz - Stauffenbergstraße
- Route 3 SSuX 05:55 to 08:20 and 13:55 to 17:20 plus odd early Depot runs on other routes from Haselholz to Hegelstraße.
- Services may be diverted via a triangle junction just south of Platz der Jugend to serve a stop nearer the castle situated on a figure of eight loop during special events, summer weekends, public holidays etc.
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 10 December 2017 as at September 2018
Metre Gauge Tours
Following conversion of all passengers services to Broad gauge, some dual gauge tracks were left in situ. The Tram Museum website shows timings for three tours each Sunday starting from the Tram Museum in Bad Cannstatt which would at the very least travel unusual lines from the Depot to the NeckarPark (Stadion) branch, the U11 east to south curve, the south to west curve at Lowentor and the turning circle at Ruhbank (Fernsehturm). Reports of the route taken would be appreciated by the Compilers.
- NeckarPark (Stadion) is served by a branch off routes U1/U2 and U14 between Stuttgart city centre and Bad Cannstatt. Trams previously ran only in connection with football matches and other Stadium events but from 10 December 2017 route U19 runs regularly. This runs from Neugereut via Bad Cannstatt onto the branch via the north curve between approximately 06:50 and 19:30 SSuX. The U11 via the south curve from the city centre still only runs in connection with Stadium events.
Weinsteige - Waldau Curve
- Route U8 only runs Monday to Friday except for odd journeys departing Weinsteige on Saturdays at 04:14, 04:44, 06:11, 06:17, 06:39, 06:49, 07:19, 09:09, 09:46 & 09:55, Sundays at 04:14, 04:44, 06:59, 07:12, 07:42, 07:47, 07:52, 08:23, 10:50 & 11.04 or from Waldau on Saturdays at 20:51, Sundays at 00:21, 00:41, 00:43, 00:51, 00:59, 01:11, 01:19, 18:20 & 18:23. Note this curve has an underground flying junction at the Waldau end.
Ruhbank (Fernsehturm): Connection from high level (U15) platforms to the Heumaden line
- At Ruhbank (Fernsehturm) there are separate platforms used by lines U7 & U8 (low level) and by line U15 (high level). Most U15 trams terminate and start at Ruhbank (Fernsehturm), but a few run through to and from Heumaden. These use a connection from the high level platforms to the U7/U8 “main line”.
As at September 2018 U15 journeys to Heumaden departed Ruhbank (Fernsehturm): Schooldays every ten minutes 06:51 to 07:51 and 15:51 to 18:11, Daily at 20:31, 00:21 & 00:36 plus Sundays only 18:01
U15 journeys from Heumaden depart Silberwald: Schooldays 04:46, 05:01, 05:16 and every ten minutes 06:48 to 07:58 and 15:58 to 18:18; Mondays to Fridays during school holidays 04:46, 05:01, 05:16 and 06:48 plus on Saturdays at 06:31, 07:01, 10:18; Sundays and public holidays 07:31, 08:01, 11:18
Near to Sudheimer Platz U-Bahn station, this only operates between 09:10 and 17:30 daily as route 20 and is included in VVS Stuttgart ticketing
Timetable since 9 December 2018 when Line 2 opened as there is now a non-passenger curve
(west of) Ehinger Tor west to south
- From Theodor-Heuss-Platz : 4:38 (daily), 5:23 (SSuX), 6:38 (SSuX), 7:53 (SO), 10 08 (SO), 11:23 (FSuO);
- From Kuhberg Schulzentrum : 20:32 (daily), 00:37 (daily)
Advertised journeys in timetable dated 14 September 2010
Juliuspromenade West to South
- Route 4 between 06.00 to 19.00 SSuX, 09.00 - 16.00 SO; at all other times services double run to, and via a complete loop at the Hauptbahnhof and serve the Juliuspromenade stop in both directions.
Madrider Ring North to South
- Route 5 is diverted via the north to west curve to additionally serve the route 3 terminus at Hechelhof Athener Ring out of working hours, therefore the direct north - south line is only used between 05.30 and 19.30 SSuX and 08.30 and 16.30 on Saturdays.