Italy - Older General Information
This document acts as an archive for Recent and Future Changes prior to 2013.
- Seregno - Saronno (FNM): 9 December 2012
- Cecina - Volterra: 17 April 2012
- Reggio Emilia - S Lazzaro (FER): 19 September 2011
- Carbonia - Carbonia Serbariu: 23 July 2011
- Rovato Borgo - Bornato Calino (FNM): 13 June 2010
- Foggia - Lucera (FdG): 14 July 2009
- Alzano Centro - Albino: 10 June 2009 (TEB) (Light rail, but entirely segregated double track in the nature of a railway)
- Bergamo - Alzano Centro: 25 April 2009 (TEB) (Light rail, but entirely segregated double track in the nature of a railway)
- Fesca S Girolamo - Ospedale S Paolo (FT): 22 December 2008
- S Vito-Lanciano - Lanciano (FAS): 15 March 2008 (Replacing the original railway on a completely different route)
- Ozieri-Chilivani avoiding line: 2006
- Merano/Meran - Malles-Venosta/Mals (SB): 5 May 2005
- Alfa Lancia 4 - Acerra (Circumvesuviana): 1 February 2005
- Bazzano - Vignola (FER): 19 September 2004
- Botteghelle - Madonnelle (Circumvesuviana): 29 May 2004
- Modena Piazza Manzoni - Modena FS (FER): 26 January 2004
- Casalecchio-Garibaldi - Bazzano (FER): 13 September 2003
- Malè - Marilleva (TT): 5 May 2003 (The original terminus at Malè closed)
- Piraineto - Punta Raisi (Palermo Aeroporto): 6 October 2001 (Service suspended since 29 June 2015)
- Volla – S Giorgio a Cremano (Circumvesuviana): 12 February 2001
- Treviso - Portogruaro Caorle: 4 November 2000
Train service withdrawals all on 17 June 2012:
- 102 Pinerolo - Torre Pellice
- 106 Savigliano – Saluzzo - Cuneo
- 108 Cuneo - Mondovì
- 114 Ceva - Ormea. A tourist operation was established on the line in 2016.
- 122 Asti - Castagnole delle Lanze
- 124 Alessandria - Nizza Monferrato - Castagnole delle Lanze
- 125 Vercelli - Casale Monferrato
- 127 Santhià - Arona
- 143 Alessandria – Ovada
Other train service withdrawals in 2012:
- 233 Sacile – Gemona del Friuli (26 August) because of a landslide. The train service between Sacile and Maniago was reinstated on 10 December 2017.
- 325 Sarno – Codola (9 September)
- 310 Priverno-Fossanova - Terracina (1 October) again due to a landslide
Services between Torre Annunziata Centrale and Castellammare di Stabia and between Mercato San Severino and Benevento via Avellino were also withdrawn, but subsequently reinstated.
Train service withdrawals in 2011:
- 375 Caltagirone – Gela (May), following a bridge collapse
- 474 Gioia Tauro to Cinquefrondi and Palmi: (7 June)
- 117 Chivasso – Asti (September)
- 337 Rocchetta S Antonio - Gravina in Puglia - Gioia del Colle (October)
- 312 Sulmona - Castel di Sangro (December), but limited special excursion traffic operated until October 2013
A sparse service between Gioia del Colle and Gravina in Puglia was reinstated in February 2012, but withdrawn again on 11 December 2016.
Train service withdrawals in 2010:
- 122 Castagnole delle Lanze – Alba (April)
- 118 Mortara – Casale Monferrato – Asti (September)
- 310 Castel di Sangro – Carpinone (December)
- 332 Avellino - Rocchetta San Antonio Lacedonia (December)
- 318 Castellammare – Gragnano (December)
Trains between Rogliano and Colosimi (the middle section of the 950 mm gauge Cosenza - Catanzaro Lido Ferrovie della Calabria ‘main line’) were replaced by bus, probably on 17 December 2010 when a new rail timetable for this line came into force but maybe prior to that.
Trains ceased running on the 950 mm gauge Cosenza - Camigliatello - S. Giovanni in Fiore line beyond Serra Pedace after the line was severed by a landslip beyond S Janni station on an unknown date, and formally withdrawn beyond Spezzano della Sila in 2008. The remaining service of one pair from Spezzano della Sila to Cosenza was withdrawn in July 2010, but there is a heritage operation between Moccone and S Nicola-Silvana Mansio.
The Sangritana line between S Vito and Castel di Sangro closed on 9 December 2006. That was the first significant closure for some time.